Step One- The Name

Forums Forums Character Development Step One- The Name

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  SexySarahLove 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

James Rover

How do you pick a character name? Do you use a name generator? Does that name that you choose mean something to you?

Alex Bluknick
    Participant

I normally pick names from people I know a little bit so I can remember them. I think that it helps me remember that Mrs Hall was the teacher I hated and I can remember that her character is kind of a bitch

James Rover

That is a great idea. I think that would be great and would really work with EX girlfriends names!

GoddessJoy
      Participant

You are so nice I can not see you with to many ex girlfriends. You seem super nice even if you are a DOM. LOL I like that very much

Alex Bluknick
      Participant

ha ha yeah James how many do you have??

James Rover

I am a DOM. I have enough to write several novels!

SexySarahLove
    Keymaster

I personally find that ideas come to me and I think that when the story line shows up in my head the characters are already named and I am just putting names with the character. I think that it is almost like they name themselves.

GoddessJoy
      Participant

I feel this way about the places. Like the locatins that they go to. That is one of my favorite parts about writing. Getting to make something that noone else has done

Alex Bluknick
      Participant

I had never really thought about how cool that is until now.

Crystal Teans
    Participant

I use silly ways to remember the characters. So if I know that one character was really smart and that was the thing that I want to always point out then I will make a name like “smart Sue” but only say the “smart” part to myself. It makes it easy for me to picture how each person fits into the story.

GoddessJoy
      Participant

I like this idea. I like the idea of kind of using the name to help you rememeber character traits. I think that can be supr helpful to make the best characters

Alex Bluknick
      Participant

I think that this would just confuse me.

Shelly71
    Participant

I start with an image of the character, then the name just kind of comes to me, along with traits and habits, likes and dislikes, etc. Once I can visualize the character, it’s almost like I know them.

SexySarahLove
      Keymaster

That’s what happens to me!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.